Teatro Greco, Taormina

Teatro Greco, Taormina

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Arrivederci, Taormina. Buona fortuna a tutti!

How time flies. I wonder how Mt. Etna feels with millions of years under its belt, it's witnessed everything here! Words cannot express how wonderful this experience has been. This was the opportunity of a lifetime and I wouldn't have changed a thing about it. The lessons I learned, whether it be personal or in the classroom, have accumulated into one truly phenomenal journey. From coming here, knowing next to nothing about Sicilian culture and history, I am leaving this beautiful country with a deep appreciation and respect for the culture, people, and history that has taken place here over thousands of years. Because of our Kingdoms in the Sun class with Dr. Hayes, I was able to see Sicily from more than a tourist's point of view. We learned about all of the different cultures and powers that controlled Sicily since ancient times, and the fact that there were so many that had control over this island amazes me. It amazes me even more to travel around town and see those culture's influences still remaining in the ruins and buildings that are a part of everyday life here. We don't have history like that in the U.S. This is mind-blowing history right here beneath our feet that we got the chance to live with for one month. I feel honored, as if the past has chosen to give us a special invitation to look into its sacred and precious story. I feel as though it was yesterday that we arrived and the first thought I had was 'I can't believe I'm here'. And now, as we get ready to depart, feeling as if we were only here for the blink of an eye, I still cannot shake that feeling. I can't believe I am here, I can't believe I was able to share this with some of the most wonderful and unforgettable people, and I can't believe the majestic beauty history radiates as it sits patiently waiting, watching, and collecting more beneath its surface every moment of every day. Forever thanks to all for everything. Ci vediamo!

No comments: