Teatro Greco, Taormina

Teatro Greco, Taormina

Thursday, July 20, 2006

My Final Thoughts

I have to say that I do not want to write any final thoughts because I don't want my time here to end. I have spent the past four weeks in paradise and the thought of going back to New Jersey, even though I miss my home, is not easy to adjust to. Sicily has so much history and culture that going back to America seems like such a let down. I have walked through ancient ruins and slept on a beach that was conquored by ancient Greeks. I really have had the time of my life here and I've learned so much about Sicily that I never knew before. I've taken many ancient history classes and Sicily is made out to be important in the Punic Wars and then never spoken of again. After taking a class on Sicilian history I find the omission of it from the rest of history very troubling. It was so important to so many major players in history that to not mention it is a serious oversight. I am grateful that I have had the opportunity to take this class because it has opened my eyes to an entirely new culture that I haven't had any experiance with before. Also living in Sicily while learning about its importance to history was an amazing experience. I was able to see with my own eyes the places talked about in books. I don't know how to express how that changes your perspective on things. All in all this trip was amazing and I don't know how I will ever readjust to life in fast paced, self centered America.

No comments: