Teatro Greco, Taormina

Teatro Greco, Taormina

Monday, July 10, 2006

Stromboli

The two days six of us spent in the Aeolian Islands were more than just relaxing. I experienced things I never imagined I would have the opportunity to see or do and gained perspective on the vastness and depth of history. Being amidst places that reach so far back in time have produced memories that I will never forget. Friday, we took a boat tour around a few of the islands: Lipari, Panarea, and Stromboli. We swam a little, ate on a few of the islands and shopped around a bit, all leading up to the 'grand finale'-the nightly eruption of the volcano that makes up the island of Stromboli. As we approached Stromboli, gazing up towards its peak made me feel very small, and not only in size. The volcano has seen and withstood over 100,000 years of this earth's history. Standing 2400 meters at its highest point, the calming sight provided me with one of the most unforgettable and surreal moments I have ever experienced. As we began our journey back to Vulcano (our starting point), we rounded Stromboli, and as expected, the smoking peak began to erupt against the darkening sky. The constrasting fluorescent liquid was mesmerizing and still I can find no words to express the awe I'm sure we all felt. The eruptions are new to our eyes, no matter how many pictures and videos we may see, sitting before it is incomparable. To the natives and inhabitants of these islands over the years, since the Neolithic period, the eruptions are as normal as rainfall, just a part of home. Being able to share that experience with fellow students made it even more special and unforgettable. On our trip back I recognized the same look of reflection in the eyes of those around me as we all left attempting to grasp the beauty of nature, for the short amount of time we were given at Stromboli was not enough. I can't be sure if any amount of time would ever suffice, but I am sure that I will never forget the feeling the experience produced.

No comments: