Teatro Greco, Taormina

Teatro Greco, Taormina

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Miss You Badly, Sicily

When I look around as I walk the streets of Sicily, I see the walls of each building washed over by both time and history. The Greeks, the Romans, Saracens, Normans, not to mention countless others have had such an influence on the culture and the aesthetic that we now see here today. The same streets I walk have been tread by armies and royalty, slaves and merchants. Before traveling I had no idea what was in store. I promised myself I would go into this study abroad trip with a clear mind and do my best not to look at it with an ethnocentric point of view. Had I not been enrolled in the italian language and history courses, I would most definitely be missing the allure and depth of such a place, where in every corner there is a story written in the stones, the ground, the plants and trees, the physiology of the people. Historically, this place has seen alot of conflict, where the terrain has changed ownership many times with either surrender or the spilling of blood. Churches have gone from synagogues to mosques, back to whichever was the place of worship for the current rulers. I have seen the Aeolian Islands, Palermo, Monreale, Acireale, each with their own unique layout and history. The blending of each period and each culture has produced an overwhelming energy that surrounds this place. It is totally unlike anything I have ever seen back in the United States. Everything there is so new and uninterrupted. It is easy to see what happened there whereas here in Sicily it can be hard to tell exactly what happened at what time. I can honestly say that the history lessons have enriched my experience in such a tremendous way. My thoughts lean towards the beauty of this place, as I have spent many days traveling by foot, observing the wildlife, the greenery, the beach. I can see why this place looked so attractive to all those who made their way here. I can see why peoples have fought over it and died for it. I understand that this place is a paradise in which hard-working people toil everyday without the conveniences I so regularly take for granted. I never thought ice would be so hard to find. I must admit that previous to going on this trip, I told myself I would do it for myself, alone if I had to. I never thought I would be in the company of so many good people, who now share with me the sadness I feel as we prepare to leave this paradise. I wonder if they, when thinking of this place, allow their memory to find room for me also. It has been a true pleasure, and I will always remember the things we shared, a true highlight in my lifetime. This last mention goes to my ship crew. The message in the bottle says that we all share the same sun. We share something special and unique to our lifetimes, and I hope that from the experiences we have had, that our destinies are moreso aligned than before.Peace and Prosperity. Love Z

No comments: