Teatro Greco, Taormina

Teatro Greco, Taormina

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Last Impressions

Even though I have been here for a month, it is still surreal. I cannot believe I wake up to a view of Sicily's coastline and the Mediterranean Sea and I go to bed with a view of the coast lit up in lights and the Mediterranean Sea glistening from the moonlight. I feel I got the most out of my time here having visited places like Palermo, Tindari and the Aeolian Islands. Each place is full of history and beautiful sights. For example, there is a legend in Tindari regarding the Black Madonna. In Palermo, the maginificent churches have Greek and Arab influences. The Aeolian Islands were key in the 1st Punic War as they were allied with Carthage until Rome conquered then in 252BC. Taormina was the perfect place to study. Even though Taormina is a beautiful city filled with historical sights, it does not represent true Sicilian life (due to tourism). I experienced true Sicilian life when I visited my uncle in Venetico. I was introduced to the many friends and family he is close with. I was able to see how Sicilians truly live (close-knit families living in close proximity eating a delicious Sunday lunch). It has been one of my favorite experiences here in Sicily.

No comments: