Teatro Greco, Taormina

Teatro Greco, Taormina

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Driving in Sicily

Let me tell you about my experience driving in Sicily. Ben and I went to the car rental place right around the corner from Babylonia, where the sign claims to say they speak English, Italian, French, and German. Well we went in there and the guy only spoke German and Italian. Lucky for us we had someone with us who spoke enough Itailan to figure it out. After we went through some paper work a person who spoke English came and the first thing that he said to us was “So you wish to risk your life in Sicily.” That made me a little nervous, and after walking around for two weeks and seeing how people drove it didn’t help the situation. So we get in the car on our way to golf and hit the main road. After a few scooters pass us my nerves went down a little. Then we make it to the A 18 and I start to really loosen up doing about 140km/hr. We get off the exit and we think that the course is only 800 meters away, but soon we realize it’s a few kilometers and I have to do some more in town driving. Well it went well and I even passed some cars on our way there and it was a good feeling since that’s what everyone does over here. So many people may tell you don’t rent a car if you don’t have too. Well I completely disagree if you really want to explore this island get 4 people and pay 15 euros each and enjoy this once in a lifetime opportunity.
~that guy

No comments: