Teatro Greco, Taormina

Teatro Greco, Taormina

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Robert Plant Concert at the Teatro Antico

On July 16th some of us went to see Robert Plant live at the Teatro Antico. It was absolutely amazing. Going into it, I had no idea what to expect. I had heard he was not going to do a lot of Led Zeppelin songs and didn't know if he could still pull off some of the notes he hit in his prime. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard how good his voice is still. He opened with a slower song, then he and the band, the Strange Sensation, did a remake of Black Dog; which really got the crowd going. They did a few more songs of his new stuff with some classic Zeppelin songs mixed in. I loved it, and couldn't believe I was witnessing this in person in a theatre 2,500 years old. They ended and left the stage, but no one would leave. We chanted for them to come back and sure enough they did. They came out with one of their new songs and then they did what was my favorite part of the night; an extended version of Whole Lotta Love. Everyone there went crazy and I felt like the music was giving me a kind of high. Led Zeppelin is my father's favorite band and one of mine as well. And even though it was only Robert Plant, the band was fantastic and I felt like I was able to see a part of history from my dad's time; especially in a historical theatre. I can't wait to tell him about it.

No comments: